Friday, November 5, 2010

Lesson 5: Quote & Our Story

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I’ve learned, the hard way, that some poems don’t rhyme, and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity."
—Gilda Radner


This quote really spoke to me. It's so true that we have a vision of how we want our life story to be told.
We have the perfect characters all set to play the roles, our idea of a great plot & a happy ending. But someone above has a different plan for us.
Ways for us to grow and learn. Times for us to cherish and laugh. Times for us to experience hurt and pain.
All of which makes us stronger.

I love how the quote says to take the moment and make the best of it. Although sometimes this is more difficult then we think.
Scrapbooking helps us to focus on some of things that make us happy. Lately, I've been trying to be more real in my journaling. It was difficult for me when many people were reading what I wrote on my projects in Creating Keepsakes or online. Some may not know that I am pretty private person... but I want these pages to tell our story. I strive to continue to open up more and remember the good with the bad. Both are part of who we are and our life story. That is what this online class has helped me to see & I hope it will do the same for you.

Some more ways to approach journaling that we are going to discuss the rest of the class:

1 Free-write to dig deeper to what you want to say. ( we've done this one )
2 Lists/Numbers
3 Start with the same beginning to each sentence: she is... I remember...
4 Remember your senses when you write. Paint a picture so we feel like we're there.
5 Write a letter to someone

TODAY'S ASSIGNMENT:
  • Catch up on lessons this weekend.
  • Practice making rolled flowers.
  • Keep journaling

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking that step out and sharing so much of yourself. It's funny that you would say that because I was thinking about that very thing yesterday. I decided to talk about it on my blog and I thought I was going to break out in hives just thinking about being so vulnerable before others! But then so many reminded me of how much that vulnerability spoke to them... gave them courage to do the same!

    Thank you so much for sharing your life and your sweet family with us! You are an incredible inspiration to so many of us and you and Collin's lightheartedness is a great reminder to not take ourselves too seriously and just enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand what you mean about being private. Journaling is VERY difficult for me, even if it is not being published. My first layout ever published by Creating Keepsakes had no journaling at all. The editor told me "we'd love to publish this layout but it needs journaling." It was like she knew how I felt because she went on to say that the perfect journaling would be how I explained the layout to her in my email. That was the day I started "journaling." I journaled how I would "explain" the layout which was good but your entry about the caterpillar...OMW, what an eye opener. I thought the first journal entry was just great. THEN I read your re-do. My jaw is still on the floor.

    I remember meeting you {and Collin} at the last CKU Nashville. I thought, "Wow, she's actually a REAL person. And she is really nice. And her eyes are really THAT pretty!" Sorry, had to add that because is it sooooo true. You inspired me then and continue to inspire me each day. Your blog is first on my list. Thanks so much for stepping out there and sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie,

    thank you so much!
    you're so cute. :) Definitely something I am working on with all my projects lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveling Mama,

    I agree completely and love what you said!

    I'm the biggest worrier so Collin is a great balance for me, like you said, to not take myself so seriously.

    So true about giving others courage to do the same.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that photo of you is amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete